Fried Onions. Copycat French’s Fried Onions to use on green bean casserole, salads, burgers, and more!
Every Thanksgiving I get way more excited about the side dishes than I do about the turkey. Oyster stuffing, sausage stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, my aunt’s famous salad, and above all: green bean casserole. And let’s be real, the green beans are just there as a vessel for the fried onions!
The light tang and crunchy texture that fried onions provide to a dish are just indescribable. They are a simple addition to take any of your favorite meals or casseroles up a notch!
Some ideas for using fried onions are:
- Green bean casserole (duh)
- Mashed potato garnish
- As a sandwich, burger, or hotdog topping
- In stuffed peppers, squash, or mushrooms
- On broccoli casserole
- On hot dish (tater tot casserole)….holy WOW I might need to do this one
- On top of your favorite dip (would work on buffalo chicken, spinach artichoke, garlic, french onion, and many others!)
Basically the possibilities are endless with fried onions! They are one of my favorite hacks and an easy way to elevate and add pizazz to basic dishes.
For this recipe I used candy onions that I received farm fresh from being a member of Golliher Farms food club. If you can’t find candy onions in your local grocery store, subbing in yellow onions should work fine.
What are your favorite ways to use fried onions? Let us know in the comments!